Invisalign is better than braces, Invisalign treatment enhances your aesthetics, Invisalign is comfortable and easy to wear and the list is endless that says all the positive aspects about Invisalign. But what exactly is this treatment and how is it better than the conventional braces is a subject worth discussing. So let us try to figure out the same and learn how we can make the most of Invisalign.
What is Invisalign?
If there are gaps in your teeth or you have a misaligned jaw, then there has to be some treatment that can help you overcome the problem you have and the magical treatment that solves multiple issues is Invisalign. This orthodontic treatment straightens the teeth without using metal braces. Customized clear braces cover the teeth and gently help in pulling them back at the proper position without causing any discomfort to the wearer. The desire to wear a beautiful smile is something you cannot hide. But if you don’t want to be labelled as metal mouthed or you don’t want to bear the pain that comes inherent with braces, then Invisalign is the best option for it not only corrects the dental issue but is a cosmetic treatment that gives an edge to your million-dollar smile.
What is Invisalign made of?
The clear aligner trays are made from BPA-free plastic and are convenient to wear and maintain. You can take them off while eating and wear them back after you have enjoyed your loved dishes. All that you have to do is to continue wearing Invisalign for 20 out of 24 hours a day to see significant results.
Who is the right candidate for Invisalign?
Those who have the problem of an overbite, underbite, open bite, crossbite, overcrowded teeth and gaps between the teeth are the right candidates for Invisalign.
What are the advantages of Invisalign over metal braces?
- Maintaining your oral health is not a challenge. You can continue brushing and flossing like before.
- You can wear Invisalign without inhibitions because these clear aligner trays are unnoticeable.
- Comfort attached with Invisalign is too big to ignore
- The movement of your teeth becomes more precise when you wear Invisalign instead of metal braces.
- The number of visits to the dentists is less if you choose Invisalign over metal braces.
How to make the most of Invisalign?
Now that you know that Invisalign has numerous advantages over metal braces, so you must be abreast with some tips that can help you in achieving the desired results with Invisalign and these tips are:
- Keep an eye on the Invisalign schedule: To achieve the desired results, your dentist will lay down a plan in which the aligner trays should be changed once in two weeks. You should earmark the days on your calendar to avoid any confusion and follow the plan religiously to wear a smile that you have been longing for. Any kind of delay in putting a new set of trays will slow down the progress which is not something desirable.
- New aligners should be put at night: When you put a set of new trays, some kind of discomfort is natural because there will be pressure on your teeth. So one way to avoid this unpleasant feeling is to wear the trays at night so that you sleep through the initial few hours of pain! Over-the-counter medications can help you if the pain persists.
- Wear your aligners for 22 hours a day: No matter what you have to resist the temptation of removing the aligner trays during the day. This means you have to wear Invisalign for the major part of the day excluding the time when you are having your meals. The biggest advantage with aligner trays is that these are invisible so the question of removing these when you are out for a party or an interview shouldn’t pop up in your mind.
- Check what you are eating: The “Invisalign Diet” as it is commonly referred to can help in reducing weight because eating between meals becomes impossible with aligner trays on your teeth. Removing the trays, cleaning them and putting them back can be an ordeal and no one would like to do that every two hours. Drink lots of water to keep your mouth hydrated since excessive salivating is natural with aligners inside.
- Clean your aligners: You have to clean the aligners to avoid stains, foul odour and icky feeling in the mouth. You can use toothpaste to clean your aligners or you can use antibacterial soap and warm water.
- Maintain good dental hygiene: You must maintain a good oral regime which includes regular brushing and flossing so that there are no stains on your teeth or aligners. Following good dental practices will ensure that the chances of cavities get minimized.
- Change your aligners in the right order and on time: You must not put the aligner trays until your orthodontist gives a green signal. Follow the instructions to avoid any confusion.
- Keep a retainer case: You have to take care of the aligner trays lest these should get lost. Wrapping the trays in a napkin is a strict no-no. Using a retainer case is suggested so that when you remove the trays, these are in a safe place.
- Back-up aligners: There might be instances when you forget your aligners and by the time you realize, the aligners are already gone. A new set takes around one week and in the meanwhile, you cannot stay without aligners. To counter such crisis, have a set of backup aligners as a standby option.
- Wear a retainer after the treatment: Retainers are customized apparatus that help to keep the teeth in place after the aligners are taken off. This will help in maintaining your smile so that all the efforts that you have put in don’t go down the drain.